While, in the earlier blog – I did try to explain the critical importance of kundalini or mystical awakening to the future of mankind , it is very necessary to protect the image of the true mystical vision from distortion by the ambitious or the dabbler or the uninformed. Awakenings are not altered consciousness (that can be achieved temporarily by using mind altering drugs), nor superficial and transitory experiences but illuminated consciousness. Distinction must be made between the fanciful, colourful and sensational narratives of sorcery, magic, miraculous and weird paranormal, bizarre and fantastic experiences and an increased clarity of thoughts along with an indescribable state of glory, love and happiness with the wonderful direct experience of an all pervading consciousness.
Since the past six and half years, I can say emphatically that I have been testing my body, mind, experiences, events and theories probably more scrupulously than any scientist. Exploring multi disciplinary research, going beyond faith into specialized branches of knowledge, ideologies and perspectives into which mankind stands divided.
Before venturing into understanding energy, existence and nature, let us first address the question – is existence an intelligent and purposeful evolving design? Is the quote from the Upanishad in part 2 of my blogs- “As is the atom, so is the Universe; as is the microcosm, so is the macrocosm; as is the human body, so is the cosmic body; as is the human mind, so is the cosmic mind,”- tenable? While there are thousands of reasons for a “yes” to all, would like to mention a few relevant observations
Design : The laws of nature and parameters of the Universe take on values that are consistent with conditions for life rather than a set of values that would not be consistent with life as observed on Earth. If for example- the electrical force between the electrons, the range of temperature of the sun, air pressure, gravity, the dance of the helium and carbon nuclei, the natural calamities like earthquakes, rising water levels, volcanic activity did not lie within a certain range, life would be impossible. Similarly, within the microcosm – if there was a slightest difference in an organism at the chemical, genetic, cellular, tissue, organ or system level – life would not exist.
Intelligence: While accepting that the microcosm has the same intent as the macrocosm, I would like to give just an example of the purposeful intelligence of existence – the human body, consisting of 10 trillion cells, each of them receiving thousands of signals every second in the form of proteins and molecules.
• A cell in the lung, for example, has its own intelligence to receive and process the millions of signals, convert them into chemical reactions which are appropriate for its cellular regeneration, propagation, functioning of the lungs, functioning of the respiratory system and the health of the body to create conditions for existence and prosperity of all its parts. A cell in the kidney with exactly the same physical characteristics of the lung cell would perform different chemical functions appropriate for its role.
• There seems to be a capacity to make choices operating inside each cell in our body, down to the level of individual proteins and enzymes. DNA itself is a kind of “text” that functions through a coding system called “genetic code,” which is strikingly similar to codes used by human beings. Some enzymes edit the RNA transcript of the DNA text and add new letters to it; any error made during this editing can be fatal to the entire organism; so these enzymes are consistently making the right choices; if they don’t, something often goes wrong leading to cancer and other diseases.
• Luther Burbank worked on the cells of cacti to demonstrate its innate intelligence “While I was conducting experiments to make ‘spineless’ cacti,” he continued, “I often talked to the plants to create a vibration of love. ‘You have nothing to fear,’ I would tell them. ‘You don’t need your defensive thorns. I will protect you.’ Gradually the useful plant of the desert emerged in a thornless variety.”
Evolutionary tendency :
- Carl Sagan has tried a very innovative process of explaining the timelines for existence by compressing it in a one-year calendar and the results are astounding. By this scale, if the Big Bang happened on 1st January, then Origin of the milky way on May 1st, Origin of the Solar system on September 9 , Formation of the earth on September 14, Origin of life on September 25, Formation of rocks on October 2, Creation of micro algae and bacteria on October 9 , Photosynthetic plants on Nov 12 , First cells with nuclei on November 15, significant oxygen on planet on 1st Dec, First worms on Dec 16th, First fish and vertebrates on 19th Dec, Insects and animals, amphibians and winged insects start colonizing on 21st / 22nd Dec, Dinosaurs on 24th, Mammals on 26th, Birds on 27th, flowers on 28th along with extinction of dinosaurs, First primates on 29th Dec, Giants mammals on 30th. As per his scale, on the 31st Dec, the first humans were created at 10.30 pm, stone tools at 11 pm, first agriculture at 11hrs.59mins and 20secs on 31st Dec, Birth of Buddha at 11:59:55 pm, Renaissance in Europe 11:59:59 pm and development of science and technology – NOW. That shows the inevitable march of evolution, its direction and also the speed of the same.
- The first human, Australopithecus, before 3.5 million years had a brain volume of 500 – 550 cc and a Body to brain ratio of 90. Homo habilis, the next evolution had a brain volume of 500 – 800 cc and a body to brain ration of 60, homo erectus had brain volume of 750 – 1250 cc and body :brain ratio of 65 , while we, homo sapien have an endocranial volume of 1100 – 2200 cc and a ratio of 45, thus confirming the evolutionary tendency.
- A chart by Carl Sagan on ratio of Time of Origin to Number of bits of information processed by brain begin with virus and bacteria 1000000000 years ago and processing capacity of 100000 bits to humans beginning its existence 1000000 years prior to 1000000000000 bits/ sec.
- Sri Aurobindo, Ken Wilbur and other thinkers have been predicting the evolution of the present mind in a well defined hierarchy consisting of the higher mind, Illumined mind, Intuitive mind and Supermind.
Nothing must be taken on trust and the sphere of faith need not be taken as forbidden ground for the probe of reason. Scientific investigation of the phenomenon must be welcomed to unfold the secrets of the marvellous transformations that elevated Christ, Buddha, Nanak, Saints and other prophets. The whole literature of mankind must be re-examined in the light of this knowledge to find the underlying principle behind it all. This would also bear out the evolutionary and spiritual impulse in mankind.